I'm going to live off-grid. Read my blog and learn how to do it yourself!
The least I wanted to have done by the end of the year was to close the building, something we call here in Poland: raw closed building. It should have all the walls, windows and doors. But not necessarily ale the stuff inside.
I was not able to spend 2-3 weeks in a row during the fall, so that I could build the walls using straw bales, and cover them with clay plaster. Because of that, I changed the idea significantly and decided to do something else.
What I wanted to do exactly is shown on the video below. And below the video you will find the translated transcript of the video. (more…)
In the middle of august I spent a couple days near Łódź in a place called Cohabitat Hackerspace, where the workshops called “Do It Yourself 2.0” took place.
During that workshop several different things were built, including:
In the middle of july, I took some time to gather some reusable materials: 3 wooden windows and a couple of plastic barrels. I also bought some rain gutters for my roof.
I installed the gutters and started work on the composting toilet. Of course I wasn’t able to finish that job, but you can see the outline of the outhouse. 😉 (more…)
This video shows the work we did at the end of june. I found this one of the most important parts of the work, as from this point the building was protected from the rain.
We finished putting boards onto the roof, bought the asphalt roofing felt and installed it.
I planned to harvest rainwater, so I only needed the rain gutters. After that, rest of the work was planned to the end of summer or fall, when I would be able to get freshly harvested straw bales.
This weekend we installed rain gutters to the straw bale building. Since I don’t have any water source on my property, I want to collect the rainwater in order to have the some water for clay plaster.
I carry all the potable water and water used for showers in my RV (camper), but I don’t want to carry all the water, even for the clay plaster… So I needed the gutters. And also some barrels. I only got my hand on 100-liter (26.4 gal) barrels, but hopefully I can get some larger ones as well in future. Or I might be forced to get remaining water some other way.
We also started building the composting toilet, but managed only to build front and back frame for the outhouse.
Oh, and I got some old windows from a friend of mine. Two will be used in the straw bale house, one will be used in the composting toilet (to provide it with heat from sunrays).